Blood pressure 181/88. Should I go to er. Age 80.
I would recommend as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on Ask a Doctor service!
Your blood pressure values are really high, but I would first recommend taking nifedipine or Captopril one tab sublingually, if you have any of these drugs at home.
Another option would be to take another pill of amlodipine 10mg.
If your blood pressure values do not drop within the next hour, I would recommend going to the ER.
High blood pressure at your age can lead to an increased risk for intracranial bleeding.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!
Dr.Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?