Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

125 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Blood pressure 181/88. Should I go to er. Age 80.

Answered by
Dr. Ilir Sharka


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 6198 Questions

Posted on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Blood pressure 181/88. Should I go to er. Age 80. 103 lbs. healthy.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thank you for asking on Ask a Doctor service!

Your blood pressure values are really high, but I would first recommend taking nifedipine or Captopril one tab sublingually, if you have any of these drugs at home.

Another option would be to take another pill of amlodipine 10mg.

If your blood pressure values do not drop within the next hour, I would recommend going to the ER.

High blood pressure at your age can lead to an increased risk for intracranial bleeding.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr.Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on