Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood in urine, passing clots, slight pain. Can I just wait to see if this occurs more?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10458 Questions
Last night my urine contained a fairly large stream of bright red blood. Today at work I passed a rustish color blood clot, about the size of pinky nail on a man. I passed a smaller clot once several years ago and after all the tests the doctors thought it was just due to some exercise I was doing. I hate to go and be told the same thing, I have no real pain like when I had a kidney stone last year. Can I just wait to see if this occurs more?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A single episode of reddish urine could be due to excessive exercise causing muscle breakdown. Passing of clots is not associated with rhabdomyolysis.
Vigorous exercise can cause a bit of irritation of the urethra. This can cause a change in the color of the urine. I would probably consider this to be the most likely cause in your case.

As far as recommendations for you I would recommend that you continue to be observant of the color and passage of clots in your urine. As long as it continues to improve and look normal in your opinion I think no additional follow-up is needed. If otherwise you do experience a change in symptoms or any more redness of the urine I think you should see your good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor