Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Blood in urine. Scan showing irregular upper pole with increased vascularity. Is there anything to be concerned?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5146 Questions
i have had pains in my upper left hand side for roughly six months, i went to a dr originally six months ago and he recommended a scan
The scan said the left kidney measures 9.1cm and has a slightly irregular upper pole with mild increased vascularity seen within this are on colour doppler the right kidney appears normal measuring 10.9 they suggested a follow up scan in 3 months. my dr doesnt think i need one for another six months last week i had a medical and there was blood in my urine he redone the test sending it off for analysis and it came back blood 10 he still doesnt seem to concerned can you put my mind at rest
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query.

Do you have any trouble urinating like burning sensation on passing urine, lower abdominal or back pain ?

Any edema or swelling of limbs or face ?

Any heart problems, diabetes ?

Any recent loss of weight ?

The pain in the upper part of arm could be due to many reasons like nerve entrapment, arthritis, trauma, muscle strain, ligament sprain etc. In hypothyroidism and kidney disorders there could be functional nerve entrapment and pain.

According to the scan there are many possibilities like kidney infection or possible inflammatory swellings which is why the affected left kidney is smaller in size. It can be seen in Pyelonephritis of kidney.

Even underactive thyroid can cause bleeding in urine.

Blood in urine could be due to kidney infection, urinary stone, bleeding disorders as well. This needs to be investigated by ultrasound of bladder as well. This will be able to find out if bleeding is from kidney or bladder.

Not to worry. It is imperative to find the source of bleeding. Since kidney shows a lesion, it could be from the kidney like a simple infection as mentioned. Infections should be treated aggressively by antibiotics and good hydration. Then bleeding should stop.

After successful eradication of the infection if the bleeding still continues then you can investigate further by imaging modality or more.

Kindly discuss with your Doctor about eradicating the possible kidney infection and investigating for bleeding disorders. Once they are treated you can be free of worries in this regard.

Eat healthy. Drink plenty of water. Exercise daily. Avoid junk food, smoking and drinking alcohol.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Blood in urine. Scan showing irregular upper pole with increased vascularity. Is there anything to be concerned? 9 hours later
Sorry I didn't word that very well the pain is not in my arm but in the kidney region (left hand side under my ribs)
I havent had any Prob urinating or burning sensations I have lost weight about 4 kg last three to four weeks. I also pass out or nearly pass out when exercising had a stress test heart fine but had to stop due to my blood pressure dropping to 70/50 which explains why I pass out apart from that I feel fine just tired alot
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Since you have pain in the kidney region, it appears the bleeding and back pain are related. It is possible the vascular lesion seen on the kidney scan could be the source of bleeding.

It is highly advisable to consult a Urologist in this regard to find out the nature of this lesion and to rule out pathology like Pheochrocytoma which causes blood pressure fluctuations and passing out frequently. It also causes racing heartbeat, increased sweating and weight loss.

This needs to be further investigated by a Urologist and Nephrologist for confirmation of diagnosis and management. Kindly discuss this possibility with your Doctor for early diagnosis and treatment so that you will be problem free soon.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor