Blood in urine. Reasons?

Posted on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I just went to the bathroom and saw a small red speck in my urine. The urine was almost clear color though. This is the first time this has happened.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a little more information to know whether or not the red speck is of clinical importance

1. Did you suffer from any injury to the bladder or the flanks recently?
2. Are you sexually active?
3. Do you have any trouble while passing urine like burning of urine or difficulty in initiating urine?

Please get back to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later
I did lift a heavy box of copying paper the other day. I am not sexually active. No burning or difficulty.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for replying

Lifting the heavy box of copying paper would not have caused the red speck in urine.

I dont think there is anything to worry about the red speck in urine.

Since females are more prone to develop a urethra it is worth doing a urine routine to rule out cystitis (infection of the bladder). If there are red blood cells and pus cells in urine then you will have to be put on antibiotics to treat the infection. Please visit a physician for the same.

I hope I have answered your query, If there are n further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist