Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Blood in the stool, itchy anus. On steroid for anal fissure. Normal pelvic scan report. Could it be colon cancer or IBS?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1337 Questions
I have had irrating and painful bowel movements for a few months now. I usually have a small amount of bright red blood on the toilet paper but never on the stool or in the toilet bowl. Itchy and irritated anus along with the area between the butt cheeks and above and below the anus. I sit for a long period of time at work. I have seen my doctor multiple times for this and he told me once that he saw a fissure and gave me a steroid gel to put on it. THis didnt help. He also gave me a rectal exam with his finger and I had a pelvic scan which did not reveal any abnormal growths. I am a 27 year old male about 5'11 and 165lbs. I am worried about anal or colon cancer? or could this be IBS? Could I have a food allergy im not aware of? Would cancer of shown up on the scan or the finger exam? Could this be a form of dermatitis because I do have mild seborrhic dermatitis? I am very stressed out and have been dealing with this for quite sometime now with no real relief. When I am standing and walking around it doesnt really bother me. Its sitting and having a bowel movement.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 6 hours later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) What does your daily diet contain?
2.) Do you have history of prolonged loose stools?

Your History suggests it may be Anal fissure or Hemorrhoids, both have to be confirmed. Anal Fissure is a tear in the skin that lines the anus whereas Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins in your anus and lower rectum. Both these conditions mimic same set of symptoms except in appearance. Hence get yourself examined by a General Surgeon so that he/she can do a Anal Examination and in some cases if required he/she may ask for a Flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy to confirm the exact cause for your symptoms. Once confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

Anal and Colon cancer is rare at your age. Your symptoms don't point to IBS(Irritable bowel syndrome), Seborrheic Dermatitis or food allergy.

The treatment for Anal fissure involves medications and in severel cases Surgery whereas for Hemorrhoids, Medications, Rubber band ligation, sclerotherapy, coagulation and in severe cases surgery. Your Treating Surgeon will be able to explain it to you better after physical examination.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Getting enough fiber in your diet, this improves fissure healing and helps keep stools soft.
2.) Drink plenty of fluids.
3.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
4.) Avoid straining during bowel movements, it creates pressure, which can open a healing tear or cause a new tear.
5.) Do regular Sitz bath, Soaking in warm water for 10 to 20 minutes several times a day, after bowel movements, will help relax the sphincter and promote healing.
6.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Blood in the stool, itchy anus. On steroid for anal fissure. Normal pelvic scan report. Could it be colon cancer or IBS? 19 hours later
Ok that puts me at ease a little bit. To answer your questions I kind of eat what I want. I have never had a weight issue so I dont think too much about what I eat. I dont eat that much vegetables or fruits or salads. I drink a grass superfood drink everyday as my vitamins. I have struggled with an issue of when I eat a lot or certain foods (i still cant figure out what) I end up having to go to the bathroom minutes after completing the meal. My older brother has a same issue and has had his stomach and all different things checked out with no answers. Always very loose stools. However this issue I am having will not go away. It is not just the anal opening that is sore and painful, almost like glass coming out, but there is bright red skin irritatin all the way up the buttcrack above the anus and below the anus between the anus and testicles. Its extremely itchy and sensitive. Usually when I wake up in the morning the pain is gone. Then I go to work and always have a moring bowel movement and then the pain slowly begins. As I sit (10 hours a day) at my desk the pain slowly gets worse througout the day. The only relief I get is from putting aloe vera gel in the area and I have begun trying just over the counter hydrocortisone with aloe. Its been a couple months since I have had a completely comfortable bowel movement. I have an appointment with a dermatologist Nov. 10th about all the irritation. Is he the proper doctor to see? What do you think I should do?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

As far as your follow up history goes, you should be seeing the following doctors.

1.) Dermatologist for the irritation you feel in the Buttock crevice and the perineal area (the area between your Testicles and anal opening). It most probably suggests a Dermatitis.

2.) General Surgeon to rule out if you have an Anal fissure or a Hemorrhoid.

Your History also suggests of you having a Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Which is a common disorder that affects large intestine (colon). Irritable bowel syndrome commonly causes cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea or constipation. Also get a opinion from a Gastroenterologist after discussing it with your Surgeon.

Follow the Lifestyle modification which I had advised earlier. Stick to your Treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wishing you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor