Blood in stools, black specks in stool, anal itching, cramps.

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm a 44 year old male. I have seen my doctor about blood in my stool a few times. It usually disappears when I increase my fiber intake. I have noticed over time, that I have black specks in my stool. Not tarry, though. Sometimes I have what looks like a few black beans in my stool. Also not tarry. Recently I have had anal itching and some pain in the anal area, often feeling like a cramp. And while cleaning the anus after a bowel movement or even in the shower, it does seem like my anus is not a "open" as it was before. The last 2 times I went to the doctor about the bleeding, each doctor did an anoscopy and thought it may be due to a small XXXXXXX hemorrhoid I have.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Your symptoms most likely resemble that of hemorrhoids which is usually a common problem caused by constipation and straining however rarely may indicate underlying bowel pathology either inflammatory or malignancy.
The hemorrhoids are congestion and dilatation of blood vessels normally present around anal opening.They may usually cause painless splash of blood , or sometimes painful passage of stools, anal fullness, itching etc.The black specks could be due to clotted blood from anorectal region..This is different from black tarry stools which usually signify upper gastrointestinal bleeding.
As of now you need to prevent constipation and straining by dietary modifications (high fibre, increased fluid intake) and symptomatic teeatment if bleeding occurs.
Warm sitz bath and topical antihemorrhoidal creams might be soothing.
If the problem persists then please consult a general surgeon for apropriate further management and ruling out any underlying pathology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T