Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Blood filled blister on the hairline after injury. How to stop bleeding?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 520 Questions
I have a "blood blister" in the hairline that bleeds out of control if I knock it - I had a timber blind fall on my head and about 2 weeks later I get this thing on my forhead that I pick and it starts to bleed - It almost went away but is now back and bigger - what is this - I did not have any moles or freckles there that I have ever noticed what could it be and how do I get it to stop bleeding - I have a bandage there during the day and give it air during the night.....
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The problem you have may be Granuloma Pyogenicum.

It usually develops after a sharp trauma.

It presents it self as a red growth which bleeds profusely if something strikes against it.

Treatment is surgical.
the best bet is Radio-cautery of the lesion. If the lesion rescurs then surgical excison can be done. You need to see a dermatologist for this.

In the meantime if bleeding occurs, the best way to stop bleeding is to apply cold pressure on the area (like pressing with an ice pack). Avoid trauma over the lesion.

I hope I have answered your query.If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor