Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Blood check showed sugar level 300. How to control?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
My father Aged 59, go his blood checkup two days back and that was saying 300 - sugar level, He is very active in daily life and does exercise(yoga early morning) daily for at least 20-30 minutes. Can you suggest the actions supposed to be taken to control sugar level
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in. Two important things are diet and walking. Hes already doing exercise/yoga regularly. If possible let him take a walk daily. In diet reduce rice items, junk food , fried objects and sweets. Take sugarless coffee/tea. Take a lot of green leafy vegetables - sprouts with breakfast and salad with lunch and dinner. Start with metformin 500mg tablet once a day after food. Needless to say sweets have to be avoided.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Blood check showed sugar level 300. How to control? 48 minutes later
Will this be curable and not a big problem or is this a serious problem.

Can you please tell me what other food can he have in lunch and dinner.

His parents didn't had this problems, how else could it came. Please brief how to avoid this further.

Please do the needful.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 28 minutes later
It wont be curable but can be kept under control with diet,walk & exercise. Its a common problem & not serious at this stage.
He can take chapathi, roti, sprouts, boiled vegetables. If he wants rice then it has to be accompanied by lots of salad.
It can come without family history and its pathogenesis is too complicated to discuss here in this forum. I mean its not so simple to explain but its polygenic and enviromental factors and age play a role. It comes & if it comes it has to be treated -thats it. No avoiding its already come -it has to be controlled. Follow whats been said so far.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor