Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Blood added to milk by HIV person. Is there a risk of AIDS after drinking that milk?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I was wondering, if someone put their blood in my (cow) milk and they said they had hiv/253657?iL=true" >aids, would I contract it after drinking it, this happened to me at a party where I was the sober driver and I was just drinking a cup of milk. I know this is a ridiculous question but it worries me.

Also, wouldn't you develop hiv first not just full blown aids? Again a weird question but just wanting to clarify.

Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Chances of contracting HIV through ingestion of blood in the mouth are quite slim but how ever possible. The chances are only there if you had any lesions or tiny wounds in your gut which could allow the virus pass through into the blood. Most of the virus, will get digested and pass out without causing any problems.
You will just have to do a HIV serology test now (to first of all confirm your own status as free), then repeat the test after 3 months just to be sure that you were not infected. Also you need to note that, the HIV virus, can not survive for more than 5 minutes in the open air, as it gets deactivated.
Well if you get infected, you just have the HIV and not the diseases. The diseases can only come up after several years of having the virus in your blood stream.
I suggest you stay calm and quit worrying. Just get to the hospital for proper counseling.

Hope that his helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor