Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Blocked nose at night, using drops. History of sinus problem, done surgery for extra growth in nose. Condition recurring?

Answered by
Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :1992

Answered : 332 Questions

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi
I am suffering from Sinus problem About 30 years back i had an operation for extra growth (bone) in my nose.
From past 6 months i am facing same problem which i had experienced 30 years back
Day time is ok
During night time some time my nose will be blocked and i had use drops to get normal.

My question is has bone or muscles has regrown in my nose?
Shall i have to go for an operation again?
If i go for operation how many years i will be free from re growth?
What is the use of going for an operation?
Can it be cured without operation?
How many days i need to be in hospital?
Any specialists there in Rajajinagar Bangalore ?
And hospital address?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 36 minutes later

On the basis of information provided it appears that you were operated 20 years back for nasal obstruction. You were symptom free for 20 years and now you are having similar problem. I would like to know ---
1. Is there any nose bleed associated
2. Do you have any history of inability smell
3. Any history of Headache
4. Any foul smell from nose
5. Have you undergone any medical treatment for this condition

Please revert back with answers to above mentioned questions so that I can help you in a better way

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 18 minutes later
Dear Doctor

Thanks for your reply

I was free from nasal problem since 25 years after having operated.

1 I do not have any bleeding in nose

2 I can smell i do not have history of inability smelling

3 I do not get head ache at all

4 I do not get any foul smell from my nose

5 1 year back i had consulted ENT Dr by name XXXXXXX Katti he gave me drops and some tablets.

I recovered very well.
My uncle is homeopathy doctor.
I am taking medicine from him.
What he says is with his medicine he will dissolve growth.
But i do get some relief after taking medicine
I am confused whether to continue with homeopathy or go for ENT doctor

Only in cold and rainy seasons only i do get this problem in summer season i was very fine
Please guide me

thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 23 minutes later
Thanks for your answers. On the basis of answers provided
It appears you were operated for deviation of nasal septum or nasal polyps 25 years back.
As of now It may be
1. Nasal Polyps – They are known to recur even after treatment. Best way to deal with them is regular follow ups after surgery. Common in Allergic rhinitis.
2. Hypertrophy of Inferior turbinate – In patients of allergic rhinitis there can be increase in size turbinates (normal soft tissue mass in lateral wall of nose).
3. Allergic Rhinitis - Mucosal swelling because of exposure to allergen may also present with similar symptoms. Seasonal occurrence (as in your case ) also suggest this as a diagnosis
3. An episode of rhinitis with sinusitis can also cause similar symptoms
4. Bony septal deviation once removed cannot recur.

How to come to the diagnosis: Get a CT scan of the paranasal sinuses (PNS) done (Plain) and a complete blood count. Examination and these investigation will help in deciding whether medical treatment or surgical treatment will be required.

About – Homeopathy treatment- I am not the right person to discuss this issue. However I must say that quite a good number of patients I see actually had undergone homeopathy treatment at one or the other occasion in past.
The disease you are suffering from is a treatable disease . You do not have to worry about it. Get these tests done and you can contact me or a ENT surgeon in your city.
I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if I can help you further on this. You can send CT images and blood count report on YYYY@YYYY so that I can help you further. Or you can upload the reports here.

With regards
Ravinder Sharma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Rhinitis

doctor1 MD

My 12 year old has had ear drainage for about 4 months. Pediatrician found nothing. Developed a sinus infection four weeks ago, resolved with...

doctor1 MD

hello thr, my daughter is 3 yr 6 month old and her doctor has prescribed montek lc kid for cough and cold but when we consulted an ent specialist...

doctor1 MD

hello, i am suffering from sever allergy problem where i get sever body itching or sever rhinitis. i am perfectly alright when i take Montek lc,...

doctor1 MD

Hi, i am47yrs old; 1:67 mtrs tal lweigh 105kg and a smoker,I suffer from acute rhinitis have brownish phlegm:Ihave been on azithromycin twice. but...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

what are the treatment options for rhinitis ? are there any prevention measures for this ? He has been having this condition for past 10 years, is...

doctor1 MD

hi , please have a look on the report of my husband and let us know what follow ups we need to do .