Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Blockage in eustachian tube, loss of hearing, constant radio-static sound. How can I speed up healing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
Recently I have what I think is blockage in my eustachian when swimming and you get water in your ear with some loss of hearing and constant radio-static sound. Time will probably cure it but is there anything I can do to speed up the process?
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your ear drums examined by an ENT Specialist, first to rule out ear wax. If the ear drum is visible, a fluid level may show up behind the eardrum, which may be dull and retracted. The constant radio-static sound is known as Tinnitus. This can be treated if it persists after the blocked sensation decreases.

2. The simplest way forward is to get a ear examination done and a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) done. At least tuning fork hearing tests should be done. Treatment can then proceed accordingly.

3. Regular steam inhalation is one of the best and simplest ways to keep the Eustachian Tubes healthy and functioning. If steam inhalation makes you uncomfortable, then your septal deviation and nasal obstruction is significant. An anti-allergic and OTC decongestant drops may help. However these should only be taken under strict medical supervision and avoided if you are hypertensive.

4. You may wait a day or so before you proceed to see if spontaneous recovery takes place. Kindly share the test results here. If they are normal, no treatment is necessary. If they are abnormal, I will be able to recommend further treatment. If you wait very long, the trapped fluid may thicken to a glue like consistency and not be able to drain into the nose.

5. There is no cause for worry. If you have had a cold before this attack, fluid in the ear is explainable, however a one sided fluid build-up (without an explanation) at your age should be investigated by a check nasal endoscopy. Sometimes, if the fluid does not drain out, a procedure known as a Myringotomy with or without grommet insertion may be necessary.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor