Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Bloating in the stomach, pain under the rib cage. History of stomach ulcer. Chances of having ulcer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 339 Questions
Hello, I have this constant bloating and what feels like excercise aches in my stomach and in the centre of my stomach under the rib cage. ive had this now for aspproximately 3 years, it can often hurt when i touch the stomach. My concern is that my mum had an ulcer which was very large when she was young and im concerned i may have something simliar, although not sure. I weigh 14 stone 1 pound, 37 years of age, and am 5'8" tall. Can you help at all?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 19 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Pain always needs some attributes to be considered (like location & any radiation, nature, tempo, relation with meals/defecation/activity, continious or intermitent and any changes in weight or appetite) to comment on it's origin.

Dull aching central abdominal pain can be due to
1) Duodenal or gastric ulcers - usually have some relation to meals and show some episodicity.
2) Pancreatitis - central boring type of pain with radiation to back.
3) Gall stone disease like cholecystitis - intermitent and more on the (R) side.
4) Colitis - Usually colicky pain and associated with bowel abnormalities.
5) Intestinal Dysmotility - dull ching, continious with may be some superadded colics.

You need to investigate further for peptic ulcer, as it is likely possibility in your case. Even stress can cause stomach upset/bloating.

I suggest you to consult Gastroenterologist for further evaluation. You may need to undergo certain tests like complete hemogram, stool examination, Ultrasound and upper GI endoscopy after clinical examination to confirm the cause.

Hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor