Bloating and acid reflux

Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 26 May 2012 in GERD
Question: Industrial Grade bloating and odo
====================
This is a very embarrassing question to ask but here we go. I am 52 male with healthy eating habits but with a terrible case of bloating. I am talking about passing gas at least 20 times per hour, and in 95% of the cases the odor that comes along with the gas is unbearable. The disgusting odor sometimes smells like some type of epoxy or chemical, some times like rotten egg, but in every case it can be smelled even if I am outdoors in a windy day. Is there anything that I can do, and if I need medical attention how can I tackle this embarrassing situation in medical terms without using such disgusting wording.

Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 42 hours later
Dear,

I can understand your concern.

Abdominal bloating and flatulence can be because of-

1) Lactose intolerence - Ability to digest milk goes down as one ages and an undigested milk sugar, lactose gets fermented in colon to produce flatulence. This is the commonest cause and a trial of milk free diet for 2 weeks may help to confirm it.

2) Conditions causing intestinal dysmotility and secondary bacterial overgrowth like hypothyroidism, diabeties mellitus and diverticulosis. This induces malabsorption of sugars and proteins which are then fermented in the colon to produces "gas". Doing a thyroid profile and a sugar profile will help.

3) Intestinal disorders like celiac disease and crohn's disease which lead to malabsorption. These are associated with significant weight loss and other symptoms like loose stool or diarrhea.

Please do not hesitate to consult and explain your problems to your doctor. They will understand and will help you out.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any additional concerns.

Please accept the answer if you have no further queries.

Regards.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Consultant Gastroenterologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D