Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Bleeding from nose while playing. Should I go for medical treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My kid was playing, it happened something while playing and getting blood from his noise. please suggest us the first aid
Now, his nose is not bleeding now. should we visit the Doctor.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

Bleeding from the nausea is called epistaxis. In children nasal drying is a common cause of nose bleeds. Nasal drying is common in the winter during cold dry weather and in the summer with air-conditioning. If due to nasal drying, nose bleeds can sometimes be prevented by placing KY Jelly in the nose or by using a humidifier in the house.

Other causes are picking of nose, blowing it too hard,trauma to nose while playing,allergies and sometimes bleeding disorders.

When there is epistaxis,hold the nostrils with your fingers or a handkerchief
and pinch the lower, soft part of the nose between the thumb and forefinger.The grip should be firm and the pressure on the nose steady.

Hold it for exactly 10 minutes.Divert the child’s attention by talking or watching TV in the meanwhile. Holding the nose presses directly on the bleeding vein. This stops the bleeding and the blood will then coagulate or thicken into a scab.You can then apply Vaseline on the scab to soften it.

If there is severe bleeding then cautery may be needed from a pediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing your son good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor