Bleeding after iud insertion. Getting blood stained white discharge. Is this normal?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,

I am 32 year mother of 2 kids. My younger child is 10 months old. I got back my period 4 months back. Last month my menstruation date was 03 Oct.

I visited my Gynec and got IUD (3 yrs) inserted on 10-Oct. Post IUD insertion I had bleeding (heavier than spotting) for almost 10 days. After that I have had non-smelly white discharge off and on. My cycle is usually 29 to 30 days long. I have got symptoms of period but no period for the past 2 days. I see blood stained white discharge but not actual bleeding to wet the pad. I tried home pregnancy test but it says negative. I still feel the thread from IUD when I check.

Could you advice if this is normal?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
The mild intermittent blood stained discharge and the abdominal cramps that you are having are normally seen after an IUD insertion. It takes around 4-6 weeks for such irregular spotting to subside. In most of the cases it subsides on its own without any treatment. Please do not worry. You can wait for a few days and let it subside.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 minute later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

The doubt I have is whether this spotting I am seeing is my period? Will my normal period resume only after this cycle? Or is this pregnancy? Doctor adviced no contact for 7 days after insertion of IUD which I followed.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The spotting you are having now could be due to your periods. Your normal periods will be near their routine time. Only the total amount of bleeding decreases (maybe slightly more than spotting) while the number of days for which you see bleeding increases by 1 or 2 days. The spotting you are having is not due to pregnancy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.