Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Bladder feels full even after urinating, burning, pain, blood in urine. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 47 Questions
I have been having trouble for about two months with my kidneys. When I go to the bathroom to urinate, it still feels like I need to go after I have just urinated. It feels like my bladder is full and is very uncomfortable at times. Sometimes it will burn and hurt, other times it won't. I went to the dr and they did a urine test and the dr. said no infection showed up. She said there was some blood that showed up, but she wasn't concerned and didn't order any futher testing and didn't prescribe any meds. She said it was probably an irritation in the lining. I asked if it could be anything else, and she said probably not. I find this very strange. I still am being bothered and know that blood doesn't show up for no apparent reason. What kind of test do I need to have done to find out what the blood is from? And do I need to see a specialist? Should I be concerned like I am, or am I overreacting?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 47 minutes later

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

There are a few possibilities for the symptoms you are describing. It is good to know that no infection showed up on the urine test. If I were evaluating you in my office, considering your symptoms, coupled with the blood that showed up on the urine test, I would be concerned about a kidney stone. Although these stones form in the kidney, from there they travel down the ureter (these are the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder), and from there to the outside world (hopefully). However sometimes stones get stuck in the ureter. A stone that is stuck at the junction between the ureter and the bladder can cause the symptoms you are describing.

Another possibility is a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is an inflammation of the lining of the bladder and treatments are available.

A good option is for you to see urologist, which is a specialist of the kidneys ureter and bladder.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor