Black groin area with pink spots around it. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi, my groin area is black with some pink spot around it due to previous allergy i had Can you advise me and I can capture the area and send it to you If you require to. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 17 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

It is difficult to comment on such a brief history and without a picture to help.
I would suggest giving a detailed history (especially of the 'previous allergy') and a picture of the current state.
If there is a picture available from the previous reaction, that would be ideal.
Please upload the picture on the query board and I will try and provide you with an answer.

Best Wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Sujoy Khan 13 hours later
Hi , i uploaded a pic of my problem. the allergy happened about 6 months ago but t was around my groin and still some pink and brown spots are found
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 9 hours later
The area in the picture suggests post-inflammatory increase in pigmentation that is a common sequelae. Unless the area continues to itch, and you have any other symptoms such as decrease in weight, appetite, allergic rashes that still come and go in other parts of the body, I would not treat this.

Recurrent shaving will also change the skin colour, and moisturisers are recommended to keep the skin from getting these changes.
Antifungal creams will be an option if the skin remains itchy - like miconazole, or terbinafine (cream or tablets).

If what you previously has was an urticarial episode, then such skin changes are common. If you get the urticaria again, cetirizine 10mg up to twice daily for 1 month is recommended.

Best Wishes.