Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Black circle with pinkness inside of cheek. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1975
Answered : 1329 Questions
i have a black circle with a little pink in middle on the inside of my cheek all of a sudden but it doesn't hurt.. i felt it with my tongue becaue it fels a little papery..what could it be?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. You say you have developed a small black circle with a pink centre on the inside of your cheek that is painless and feels papery.

There are various possibilities for this--the most likely one is there has been a minor abrasion due to some sharp food item, or something you chewed that has led to the lesion, and it is now healing on its own. You just came to know about it because you felt something with your tongue.
There can be numerous other possibilities like a sharp tooth causing abrasion, infections, immunity related problems or even cancer. But I think since it is painless, let us leave it alone to heal on its own. But do see if you have a sharp tooth on the affected side that can lead to the problem. And if it does not subside in a week or continues to increase in size, please consult your doctor or a dentist for a hands-on diagnosis.

Do get back if you have a follow up query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Black circle with pinkness inside of cheek. What could this be? 3 hours later
what kind of symptoms would i be experiencing if it was cancerous?? or a malignant situation? should i see a dentist or regular doctor?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

In fact, you will have no symptoms if it is cancerous in the early stages. It is called Leukoplakia and is greyish white and slightly raised.

You can see your regular doctor and he can refer to a dentist if he feels it is needed.

I hope, this helps to clear your doubt. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor