Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Biopsy showed negative for cancer, mild change in PSA level. Family history of prostate cancer

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 961 Questions
i am 57 years old with no known family history of prostate cancer. My psa is currentlly 16.9 with a free psa of 1.7. I have had three negative prostate biopsies showing chronic prostititis and an enlarged prostate. My last biopsy was 3.5 years ago. My psa levels were stabilizing at 12 for the last three years. I have occasional urinary problems. My first psa at 46 was 4.5. My most recent psa jumped from 12.2 to 16.9. I had an upper respiratory problem at the time. I get psa tests every 3 months. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

It is good to read that you are so careful about your health.

As your repeated biopsies are negative for cancer and there is only mild change in PSA level, there is no reason to be anxious.

PSA levels fluctuate a lot and are raised due to infections like prostatitis, UTI (protein levels and prostate handling.

You also have Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

I think you do not have the fear of cancer. The prostatitis and enlargement can be helped by your regular follow-ups with an urologist, per rectal prostate exams and PSA occasionally as per urologist’s advice.

Do you get fever, UTIs frequently?
What medicines are you on for prostate?

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor