Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Big fatty tummy, smoker, no diabetes or illness. Medication or advise to cut fat?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Dear Doctor,

I m not obese, but my stomach is protruding and I feel the weight when I breath and sleep. I also cannot walk for long. I drive a Jeep to and fro 80km per day home/office daily. I have never done any exercises. Is there any medication or advise you could recommend me to cut my fat in my stomach and lose a little weight. I am almost 90kg and 65 years. I smoke 10 to15 cigarettes a day. I do not drink any alcohol, I do drink black tea with sugar in the office at least 4-5 cups a day. I have no diabetes nor suffered any illness in the past. I am pretty good with my health. The big tummy is my big concern. Would you please help me?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Belly fat is actually can increase your risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, stroke and even cancer.

You could follow certain dietary and lifestyle changes.

1. Increase your water intake to minimum of 5-6 litres.
2. Go for morning or evening brisk walk. Swimming is good exercise for reducing belly fat. Bicycle riding for 30 minutes everyday will also help.
3. Take Carrot juice without sugar after exercising.
4. Include lot of salad made of cabbage, tomato, etc in your diet. lime juice,
5. Minimize intake of salt and reduce milk based products like ice cream and butter.
6. Avoid fried, oily and junk foods.
7. Do abdominal muscle strengthening exercises, as many times weak abdominal muscles are the cause big belly.
8. Stop smoking.

Diet pills and medications are only temporary remedies, and can sometimes cause side effects.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor