Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Behaving strange. Is this personality disorder?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
I have been seeing this guy for 6 months. He is 43 and every time we are together the next day he is angry and starts in about how he doesn't want me and is emotionally abusive. Then 2 weeks or so later he will call or text and seems just fine and wants to get together. He does this to me over and over. He has me totally upset to the point that I can not mentally take much more even though I really like him.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It appears that your boyfriend is going through severe emotional insabilities and and this is putting you through such emotional roller-coaster rides. It is also quite worrying to hear that he is emotionally abusive and putting you through a lot of mental tension and turmoil.

From this description about your boyfriend's nature, it is likely that he is suffering from a personality disorder, possibly a borderline personality disorder. Such kind of emotional and mood swings, alternating between intense feelings of idealizing a person and devaluaing the same person, inability to form stable and lasting interpersonal relationships, etc. are characteristics of this disorder.

Since, it is obvious that you are going through a lot of stress and mental trauma due to this relationship, my advise to you would be to seriously consider whether this relationship is worth it. Unfortunately, it may be unlikely that your boyfriend's attitude or such emotional instabilities are going to change soon.

So, it is up to you to safeguard yourself and prevent going through such emotional abuse. The more you get involved and emotionally dependent, the more difficult you will be finding it to put an end to this.

I would suggest that you think over these things seriously and also talk about this to someone close to you, like a relative or a close friend, so that you will be able to make a wise decision.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor