Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Been throwing, feel nauseated and suffer weight loss. Have pain in upper epigastric area. Suffer constipation. What can be done?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Hello, for the past 8 months I have been throwing up, nauseated every morning, weight loss of 20 lbs. I'm weak and have a hard time eating. I have had US, EGD, ct scan all showing normal with the exception of inflamation on my duodenum and and mild inflamation of stomach. I have pain in my upper epigastric area only partially relieved by zantac. I can feel a lump about an inch long that is painful and gives me nausea when I touch it. My regular bowel movements have changed to constipation and I'm tired all of the time. I am 37 and this has changed my life. I have to run to the hospital off and on to get hydrated and I'm scared out of my mind Dr's say there isn't more they can do for me. I have been researching pyloric stenosis and wonder if this could be the cause. I recall have slight pain in that area for a long time but now for some reason it is much worse. Thank you!
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pyloric stenosis is a very likely possibility

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Upon reading your description, I was thinking of pyloric stenosis before you mentioned it. The description of your symptoms plus the fact that you are having duodenal and gastric inflammation could explain the fact that pyloric stenosis might have predisposed to this condition. Your symptoms are typical of gastroesophageal reflux diseases with associated gastroduodenitis and dyspepsia (indigestion). With this case scenario, it is possible that you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
First of all, I believe you will need that a doctor confirms my suspicions that will imply that you need to see a specialist and those of choice will either be a gastroenterologist or a visceral surgeon. They can conduct extensive laboratory work (even though I do believe that you already had sufficient work-up done) and maybe able to establish the main underlying cause so as to establish an effective treatment.
You might not only be suffering from only one digestive tract diseases but a multitude of them. From your description already it is clear that you are suffering from gastroduodenitis/GERD and dyspepsia.
You will need medications such as PPI e.g omeprazole, antacids, laxatives such as bisacodyl or lactulose or other forms, medications to ease IBS etc.
Your specialist doctor would know exactly what to place you on.
If your problem is pyloric stenosis, then the degree will determine if surgery is required or not.
I do not feel that there is nothing much that can be done regarding your situation given that all venues have not yet been exploited.
Just exercise some patience and with time, you will find the right doctor to handle your situation to the best of his/her capacity.

Hope that this helps and wish you a better health.

Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Been throwing, feel nauseated and suffer weight loss. Have pain in upper epigastric area. Suffer constipation. What can be done? 19 minutes later
Thank you!!! I feel better mentally but am so uncomfortable physically. I have one more question, the lump that swells is midline to the right by my zyphoid process. Is this where pyloric pain would be?

I have one last bit of info to give, they did a stomach emptying test with an egg and I almost threw up the whole time. They said in the 60 minutes of monitoring that they did not see gerd.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Note that pyloric stenosis is more of child illnes

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the update,

I would not want you to focus your mind so much on pyloric stenosis as the cause of your symptoms as more than 90% of time occurs in children. It is more of a children diseases rather than adult as it has to do with the way the pyloric sphincters are formed after child birth.
In your case, we might to lean more on hertial hernia (especially since your condition might be obstructive in nature). If you are having bulging around the xyphoid process, then it could still be as a result of hiatus hernia. A visceral surgeon should be able to know what to do.
Also subocclusion of the intestines might be another underlying condition to trigger your symptoms.
With the inflammation of the duodenium and stomach, this shows that the pyloric sphincter might be affected hence constricted therefore leading to the frequent vomiting.
Note also that GERD can be determined without laboratory and most the time laboratory work is done only to determine the underlying cause.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Been throwing, feel nauseated and suffer weight loss. Have pain in upper epigastric area. Suffer constipation. What can be done? 7 minutes later
Thank you!!!!
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using our site and please do visit our site and my page in the future if you have any other health issues or simply want to continue from where we left.

Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor