Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach. Suggest the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Hi I have bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Query is vague. More details required

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ma'am, ,

Good Day to you.

I fully appreciate the pain and agony that you are passing through.

Your query is vague. However, from the information provided, the likely problems that come to my mind are : chronic constipation with deranged bowel movements; chronic indigestion; stomach and intestinal infection; or Irritable bowel.

However, I will be able to pinpoint the exact cause of your problem and give you helpful professional advice, if you provide me the following details:-

* Is the stomach problem of recent onset or long-standing?

* Do you have chronic constipation; abdominal cramps; hard stools; passage of blood or mucus from rectum?

* Do you have reduced appetite; acidity; gas in the abdomen; nausea and vomiting; sore mouth/tongue?

* Do you suffer from anxiety/depression, if at all?

Eagerly awaiting further information.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach. Suggest the treatment? 1 hour later
Hi doctor
I suffer from anxiety snd take Ativan at night to help me sleep as well as Endep but do not have constipation. I have had pains for 2 days now and feel unwell and tired. I have cut down my food intake over the last few weeks as I am on a diet I trust this gives you more information I have had IBS before but this feels different as I feel nausea at times
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a minor problem of gastric upset

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the informative input.

You are suffering from transient intestinal upset, probably due to altered gut flora. This short-term problem is apparently part of the spectrum of pre-existing IBS.

I would advise you to
- continue with long-term treatment- without break-unless advised by your doctor- for IBS;

- reassure yourself that IBS is not a disease, but is precipitated by anxiety, emotional upsets, mental/physical stress. Control of the precipitating factors will keep IBS in remission.

If I were your treating doctor, I would have recommended for your present problem, as well as, long-term treatment of IBS:

* regular anti-acid drug (Pantoprozole); 2-3 days of antispasmodic drug like dicyclomine for relief of abdominal pain; Prokinetic drug like metcclopamide for nausea and normal bowel movements; and regular intake of Probiotics.

* Long-term course of antidepressants belonging to class of either TCAs or SSRIs
to relieve anxiety and depression (if any).

* Regular Stool-bulking agents such as high fibers diet and psyllium husk

* High fiber diet :- since you have been dieting, the intake of fibers has been grossly inadequate. Ensure that your diet contains adequate fluids, fibers, vitamins and minerals.

* Daily yoga and meditation.

You may therefore consult your treating doctor who knows what is best for your and prescribe appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. If you have further clarifications, I will be happy to answer.

But, if you have no further questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health,


Dr. Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach. Suggest the treatment? 5 hours later
Thank you doctor it makes sense what you say will talk to mt October again
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for heeding my advice

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome to contact me any time, as and when required, Ms XXXXXXX

If satisfied, you may kindly close the discussion and rate the answer.

I wish you a speedy recovery and Good Health.

Fond Regards,

Dr. Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor