Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Bad smell from penis and lower part of body. Took Doxycycline medicine. Not cured. Now?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2718 Questions
Hello Sir, I am 30 years old man. I get very bad smell from my penis and lower part even when washed. I maintain clean & hygenic habits then also I am getting very bad odour from my penis part. It stinks lot. why is the smell there and how do I get rid of it? Which doctor I need to consult and treatment that would help make the smell go away, it's bad odour and it smells really bad. Even after washing properly, urinating strong bad odour keeps on coming all time. Please help me to get rid off this odour. I want immediate treatment so please assist.

I have consulted Dr. P.T XXXXXXX & he suggested following:
Based on the facts that you have posted you have stinging smell of your penis and foreskin.This is most likely to be due to excessive secretion of smegma by the foreskin. Smegma is a jelly like secretion containing desquamated epithelial cells of under surface of foreskin mixed with oily secretion of glands located in foreskin. It acts as a natural lubricant for sliding of the glans over foreskin during sexual activity in adolescence.In some individuals this secretion is excessive and when gets infected gives a stinging smell.You might need a course of some antibiotics like Doxycycline. Please visit your family physician to get prescription of this drug.Ensure to observe good personal hygiene by cleaning it twice daily with plain warm water .Hope your problem will be settled in 2 weeks .

I had took Doxycycline medicine but bad smell still persists. So please suggest the effective treatment & medicine for same.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 12 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.

1.First of all male genitals has its own peculiar smell due to the special type of sweat glands called as apocrine glands around genitals. This will attract your sex partner to an extent. When you are emotional, this secretions will be more. If it had been interfered with excessive bacterial flora, then the odor may be a little more.
2. Smegma secretions will be more during adolescence and very much less less during the early thirties and almost it has no odor.
3.Certain infections or STD ( Gardenerella Vaginalis infection, or any type of secondary infection or anaerobic infection)) may likely to cause excessive odor.
These could be diagnosed by an clinical examination and urine examination and can be treated easily.

3. Usage of an antiseptic soap will remove the excessive superficial bacterial flora and you will be free from odor.

4. Daily cleaning of underneath of the foreskin after retracting the same with adequate water is also helpful.

Lastly accept that minimal odor present around the genital is normal and common. Don't get obsession about the same.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bad smell from penis and lower part of body. Took Doxycycline medicine. Not cured. Now? 2 days later
Hello Sir,

Thanks for your answer!

I had been already using an antiseptic soap and dry clean before wearing clothes and maintain good hygiene but the bad odour still comes out. The smell is more after having bath & urinating and it remains all the time. I got my urine tested but it was found nothing wrong. I want the immediate proper medication because the smell is so strong that my friends also complained about this smell to me in office and cannot sit with them comfortably in air conditioned office environment therefore I have losed my confidence. If this smell was bearable I would have accepted that but the situation is something worse so please suggest what medicine/treatment do I need to make. Is this smell is due to bad skin or genitile infection. Please suggest which doctor do I need to consult for physical treatment of this problem. You can also call me on my personal number for solution. I reside in Noida NCR region.


Cont no. 0000
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Welcome back.

If your skin has anything abnormal it would have been obviously noticed already.
Genital infection also will be revealed by the presence of pus cells in urine or any ulcer over your genitals or some sort of redness over the bulb of penis(glans).

You can try some deodorant spray on the inner side of your thigh, not over the scrotum or penis, after testing the same whether it suits to your skin.
You can consult a dermatologist or dermato- venereologist in your place. He will examine you thoroughly and do necessary investigation and guide you appropriately. Without fixing exact diagnosis of your problem other prescriptions will not be useful.
You will be alright soon.
DR S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor