Bad smell from anus. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Always very bad smell getting emanated from my anus even though I'm not passing any kind of gas.I consulted one doctor,he examined and told that there are no fistula or fissures,piles. pls help me.I'm vegetarian and I eat eggs. I'm not able to work because smell is spreading all over work area.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probiotics and digestive enzymes will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thanks for your query. I can understand your dilemma.

* Since the colonoscopy report was normal, there is nothing to worry about. The foul-smelling gas is usually due to indigestion, which causes harmful bacteria to overcome the good bacteria in the intestine.

* You have not mentioned if you have constipation/irregular bowel habits; or, get abdominal discomfort/cramps/nausea after taking eggs. Some people are allergic to eggs, while some have genetic deficiency of different types of digestive enzymes. In that case, I could, perhaps be able to offer my opinion, provided you give me the various food items that constitute your diet.

* In any case, plenty of curd; a course of Probiotics (such as, Lactobacilli) and digestive enzymes; regular meal-hours and liberal fluid-intake, will relieve you of your problem.

* Some people have intolerance to some foods. Stop eggs, if you do get abdominal discomfort after eating them. It could be intolerance to eggs. Its worth giving a trial of avoiding eggs for a while and see the response.

Consult your doctor who will prescribe the above-mentioned drugs in appropriate doses and duration.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to address to your further clarifications, if any.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 7 hours later
I'm facing constipation occasionally and bowel movements are regular. Taking egg is not creating any kind of discomfort. The only thing is farting(normal some 6-7 times a day after eating) and bad smell from gas(farts)... and that smell will be there whole day from my anus part.Tried so many probiotics(providac,imported ones), digestive enzymes but nothing helped me till now..After passing feces pls specify any medicated solution to clean genital area to remove smell bcoz after passing feces the smell emanating very strongly(even after thorough cleaning)..No leakage of feces.Plz help me...I want my social life and career which i lost from last year(march,2012)
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treat constipation; avoid foods with high sulfur

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Nice hearing from you again. I fully understand the agony that you are passing through. But, don't lose heart!

* Firstly. you need to understand why foul-smelling gases are produced. There are several gases produced in the intestine as by-product of digestion. These gases are not offensive in odor. The foul smell is due to SULFUR GAS. If the gas remains in the intestines for an extended period of time, as in constipation, bacteria start adding foul smelling sulfates to it. The second thing that makes farts smelly is consuming foods that are HIGH in sulfur.

* Further, as already mentioned about enzyme deficiencies which lead to intolerance to carbohydrates, milk and dairy products, and even cereals.

* Thirdly, as mentioned earlier, indigestion due to intestinal infection also lead to foul-smelling gases.

Therefore, the suggested course of action should be

* to zero in to the food(s) that cause maximum foul-smelling gas by eliminating one food at a time and re-evaluating; and,

* identify if you have congenital deficiency of enzymes that digest carbohydrates, lactose, fructose, cereals (wheat, barley):-

YOUR SYSTAMATIC COURSE OF ACTION :-

1. Relief of constipation and anti-microbial course should be your top priority.

- Take adequate laxatives so as to produce semi-liquid stools to get rid of constipation. In addition, take isabgol husk 4 spoons TWICE daily with plenty of CURD for 2 months.

- Continue with Probiotics (Lactobacillus) and digestive enzymes for a month of two.

- Simultaneously, start a 10 days' course of anti-H.pylori therapy. Your treating doctor will advise you the correct dosage.

2. Once constipation is relieved, the next step should be to

- Stop eggs --> if no response for 5-6 days,

- completely avoid foods containing high amounts of sulfur, such as, beans (particularly baked beans), cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, onions and dry fruits. Instead, Eat plenty of the low sulfur containing vegetables including spinach and carrots. Maximize the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables.

- Take plenty of water daily.

- If you take cow's milk-STOP it and also cheese.

- Stop Soda, soft/cold drinks and fruit drinks.

3. Wait for 7-10 days after stopping these foods. In no response is seen --->

- STOP wheat products (flour, chappati, bread etc..) for 2-3 weeks and see the response.

4. Once the offending food has been identified, start re-adding foods (that were stopped earlier) in REVERSE ORDER, at weekly intervals.

I am sure that your problem will be completely eliminated in a months' time, by this SCIENTIFIC approach.

REMEMBER : There is no drug to eliminate foul-smell.

Lastly, since it is a gas, use of any ointment/medication will have NO EFFECT. Control of the gas is the Golden key to success.

DR. Rakesh Karanwal