question-icon

Bad odor in belly button, red substance inside, oozing pus

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2012
Question: I am 6 ft 200 pounds and 26 years old. My belly button has a really bad odor and there is red tongue looking thing inside it that seems to be oozing some kind of puss.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (33 minutes later)
Hello!
Your symptom is very characteristic for urachal fistula that has recently had activated. Urachus is a little canal that drains urinary bladder of the fetus to the umbilical cord. In most cases this connection is obliterated when umblical cord is cut off. But in some cases this connection is not obliterated and may become active so the small amount of urine flows to an umbilicus. It causes bad smelling leakage from umbilicus and may result with infection of umbilicus or urinary bladder.
This condition can be easily diagnosed with ultrasound or CT and can be treated with surgery.
Hope this will help
Feel free to ask further questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon