Background info: I am 28 years old and I went

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Background info: I am 28 years old and I went off the birth control combined pill 4 months ago and have been trying to conceive since. I am taking prenatal vitamins and 300mg of magnesium every day. To check my hormone levels, I took an at-home saliva test. (The instructions said to take the test on day 19-21 of cycle. I took the test on day 19, which was 5 days after ovulation according to my basal body temperature chart. I started my period 14 days after ovulation that cycle, so it appears to be regular).

Question: I am concerned because my estradiol came back abnormal. My result is 1.1pg/ml, and the lab says that the normal range for a woman my age in the luteal phase is 1.3-3.3pg/ml. My progesterone, testosterone, cortisol, and DHEAS all came back within the normal range. Should I be worried about the estradiol being slightly below range -- could this be a sign of premature ovarian failure? Should I get additional tests? I don't have any symptoms of estrogen deficiency except that I sometimes have irregular periods (I had irregular periods before going on the pill at age 24).
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About irregular cycle and low estradiol:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone through your concern as well as the attached report.

The low estradiol level combined with irregular menstrual cycle needs further evaluation to try to find the cause.

You need to check prolactin level at 8.a.m and thyroid function (TSH, fT4 and fT3). These are the most common pathologies that cause an irregular menstrual cycle and low estradiol at your age.
An ultrasound of ovaries and uterus would be also suggested.

If they result normal, check antimullerian hormone, to exclude premature ovarian failure.

It'll be a pleasure to help you further, do not hesitate to attach the results.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee