Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Back was hurt and taking pain killers. Could I take Robaxact or advil for fatty liver disease?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I hurt my back last Thursday and don't know what to do about pain killers. Can someone with fatty liver take Robaxact or advil?
Im wondering, now that flu season is coming, what do people with fatty liver do when they get a fever?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you can take advil (ibuprofen)

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

If you are worried about any of the above medications causing significant damage to your liver (given your fatty liver diseases), then I must say you are mistaken and the medications are safe for liver conditions but a drug such as ibuprofen could lead to GI ulcers if taken for long or in large quantities.
During the flu season, you could take ibuprofen for the fever and antihistamines for the cold. Medications to avoid are paracetamol or acetaminophen which can cause significant liver damage given that they are metabolize directly by the liver its toxicity could be damaging. Having a cold with a fatty liver diseases should not be much of a hassle, as you may take same medications as people without fatty liver except for paracetamol/acetaminophen (which you may also take in moderate dosage and duration).

Hope this helps and if you got any further questions, please feel free to write back.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor