Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Back stiffness and strain. Is this back pain or is it different? Will this affect me life-long?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions

I am 24 male with 173 cm height and 71 kg weight. I work as a software engineer which involves lot of sitting job. Also from past 2 month i have started going to gym. From past 3-4days i am feeling strain in my back,its like it is very stiff. Whenever i Sit down or bend i feel a kind of strain in my back ,however it is not pain, is this strain or stiffness only called as a back pain or is it different from back pain?
And what can be the reason for it as i am just 24 and i am physically active as i am going for aerobics for last 7 months. One more thing just to inform,i have lost 16 kg in last 7 months with aerobics,can that lead to this strain?
I have heard that if once this back pain comes it is lifelong. Is it true or can it be recovered fully? and what precaution should i take.?

Thanks for your answer in advance.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be a muscle spasm or a myofascial syndrome. Wrong body posture is responsible for such minor pains most of the times.
Please do not worry as such minor pains can be corrected with adequate physiotherapy, improvisation of body posture and mild pain killers like ibuprofen.
Muscle relaxants may be needed for persistent pain.
You may need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries in case the pain is persistent. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.
You can recover fully with adequate treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Back stiffness and strain. Is this back pain or is it different? Will this affect me life-long? 4 hours later
Thanks for your reply

So should i stop aerobics and gym completely?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you need to stop any stress causing exercises till the acute pain is completely relieved.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor