Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Back pain, weakness in legs, headaches. X-ray showing disc spondylosis. Taking Cardizem, Cilazapril

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I'm having muscle pain/ back pain. Not continuously but often. i have just had an xray and the results say there is moderate L5/S1 disc spondylosis. My doctors letter says if the pain is not resolved.... the question is how can I resolve the pain myself? I am a pastry chef and do quite a lot of lifting etc. I went to the doctor because I have had a lot of muscle pain, weekness in my legs and headaches and he ordered an xray which I have just had. Hoping to resolve the pain without more medication.I'm on Cardizem, Cilazapril and 1 more, I've lost the packaaging for. It is a statin one.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Lumbar spondylosis usually produces no symptoms. The pain that you are having can be due to slipped disk which is a condition affecting the spine, in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring of an intervertebral disc allows the soft, central portion to buldge out. The majority of herniated discs will heal themselves in about six weeks and do not require surgery. Non-surgical methods of treatment are usually attempted first, leaving surgery as a last resort and in this non steroidal drugs, lumbosacral back support and steroid injections are very useful.

First of all, try conservative methods first like warm compresses and taking Ibuprofen or Diclofenac. Apart from that there are epidural steroid injections, ultrasound therapy used to warm the area, which in turn brings blood flow and healing nutrients to the area or osteopathic manipulation.

But these are all short term treatments and useful in acute pain. Final treatment is by surgical technique. If the above mentioned measures do not seem effective then you should consult a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon and get it evaluated.

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon and discuss these treatment options with him. Till then, do a combination of strengthening, stretching and low-impact aerobic exercise after consulting a physiotherapist and start with the short term treatment options.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor