Back pain, nauseated, found large lymph node in neck and under arm. What could it be?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My daughter is 20 years old. She has been sick for some time now. She is nauseated EVERY day. She gets sick constantly. She has large lymph nodes in her neck and under her left arm. They only hurt when she drinks alcohol. She has lost half of her hair over the last year. She has constant dull pain in her upper back. She has NO appetite, which I think is due to the nausea. She scratches her body to the point that she makes bruises all over. I had her checked for Mono, but it was neg. I am taking her to an Immunologist/Alergist to see if she has allergies to something that she takes in on a daily basis. She is upstairs right now throwing up... she looks AWFUL!!! Do you think this could be MAJOR allergies?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Presence of enlarged lymph nodes, formation of bruise, loss of hairs, loss of appetite, itching all over the body and nauseating feeling suggests some sort of major disease.
These symptoms doesn't appears to be due to allergy.

Although blood investigations were normal (as described by you), possibility of lymphoma must be ruled out.
Enlarged lymph nodes may be due to infection or due to malignant (cancer) infiltration.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ hematologist and should go for thorough check up.
She should go for lymph node excision biopsy for rapid and correct diagnosis.
She should also go for peripheral blood film examination along with bone marrow examination.
Lymphoma is a malignant infiltration of lymph nodes along with other body organs.
Described all symptoms may be marker of lymphoma.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava