Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Back pain. What can help a person who has to stand a lot?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10364 Questions
I am suffering from back ache since 1 month specially when i get up from my seat or even when i get up from bed. Though the pain has subsidised there is still some pain.
I am a trainer and my work requires me to stand most of the time of the day. Kindly suggest some exercise which will give me relief. Thanks
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The mild occasional back pain that you are having is probably due to muscle strain or abnormal body posture.
I would suggest the following:
a.     A mild analgesic like acetaminophen, hot fomentation and application of a local analgesic gel locally usually helps in bringing relief.
b.     While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
c.     Avoid lifting heavy objects.
d.     Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily will be helpful. You can consult your physiotherapist for the appropriate stretches. You can view the exercises at- WWW.WWWW.WW
e.     Avoid exercising when you are in pain.
f.     Improvise your posture while sitting. Try and keep your back straight while sitting, standing and lying down.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor