Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Back pain. Trouble walking, take advil. Had x-ray. What are the findings?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10432 Questions
Back pain. Trouble walking. Had x-ray -- result - "L4-5 disc space compatible with advanced disc degnerative disease or discoidectomy. There is advanced osteoarthritis from L4-S1 bilaterally. There are vascular calcifications XXXXXXX
1) Can physio help? What exercise can I do? What can't I do?
2) Can I stop progression?
3) Pains med suggested? Advil works. Is it safe? How safe?
I am 63, female, very limber and do pilates.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
You are having degenerative disc disease. Physiotherapy can help in decreasing the further progression of the disease and decreasing the symptoms.
Pain medicines like Advil are recommended for symptomatic relief. This are safe if there is no gastric intolerance.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Advil 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Physiotherapy like intermittent lumbar traction , back strengthening exercises reduces pressure of disc bulge for some time & gives relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor