Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Back of earring fallen into ear canal. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Hi. I was putting an earring on, and I think that the earring back might have fallen into my ear canal. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

First of all you need to ask somebody with you to look for it with a good light source. Normally the back of earring is not pointed and it cannot lead to any major harm.

Please do not manipulate it or else it may lead to some injury inside the ear.

It can stay there without causing much problem if left untouched for some time. Ultimately you have to get it removed by a qualified nurse or doctor.

Any foreign body inside ear can lead to infection.

Please get in touch with your primary care physician or any nursing assistant who can remove it. In most of the case this can be removed easily.

In very few cases when is lodged XXXXXXX inside you might need help from E.N.T. Surgeon.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries.
Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor