Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Back injury. Advised to take rest. Would you agree with this assessment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 150 Questions
I injured my back about 1 week ago where i could not get out of bed for 3 days. it is feeling 75% better but i still have pain. An MRI showed that i have broad based disc bulge on L3-L4 with a superimposed annular tear and on L4-L5 broad based disc bulge. The doctor told me to rest alot and the pain will subside. Would you agree with that assessment or dores this require further treatment?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No further intervention for now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

According to the MRI scan no need for surgery now, but you need to exercise rather than rest to treat muscles spasm.

Use painkillers to help keep pain under control until the acute episode settle completely.

Kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Back injury. Advised to take rest. Would you agree with this assessment? 1 hour later
I injured the back about 8 days ago. it remains painful but not very intense. again it is about 75% better than the first day when i could not leave the bed. My question is, should i start exercising now or should i wait until the pain is less. i was thinking that the area would be still inflammed i should wait a few more days before starting light exercises. Thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No rush

Detailed Answer:
Few more days will not harm.
But don't delay it too much

Wish you speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor