Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Back cramps, tightening muscles. Any suggestion when it occurs?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
On occasion I have a cramp in my upper back between the shoulder blades that radiates down both arms and last just a few seconds. It feels like I have just free lifted heavy weights and the muscles are tight..If that makes sense...Other than just waitign for it to go away, any other suggestiion when it occures? I do do heavy workouts four tiems a week and this latest episode hit me on my second day of rest.
Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
Most cases of simple cramps require no treatment other than patience and stretching. Gently and gradually stretching and massaging the affected muscle may ease the pain and hasten recovery.You should also avoid excessive strain during exercise and maintain good hydration to prevent cramps.
If persistent then physiotherapy may be beneficial.

More prolonged or regular cramps may need further investigations to rule out any nerve compression or myopathy or any underlying systemic illness.It is also seen as a sideeffects of certain medicines like statins which can cause myopathy.
In your case , I assume that since you have stopped simvastatin, the pain is not related or not started after taking simvastatin.
If there is any correlation then you need to consult your physician for confirming the diagnosis of statins induced myopathy.
The other likelihood is of a neuropathic pain due to spinal nerve compression in neck and upper back region.Sometimes spondylosis or such other vertebral column problems may compress the nerve roots and may trigger such pain especially after sudden activity.
A simple xray or if required an Mri spine can rule out this condition .

Alternatively a detailed physical examination by your doctor can lead to the most probable
diagnosis either musculoskeletal or neuropathic and accordingly further investigations might be
planned .So do consult your doctor and confirm the diagnosis.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Back cramps, tightening muscles. Any suggestion when it occurs? 2 days later
Quick question regarding infrequent dull ach in my upper jaw bone on the left side of my face. It is the right where the jawbone starts or connects...Any general concerns? As I stated it is very infrequent, but given my age and family history thought I would ask. I know in some cases it can be a sign of a serious condition.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 22 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Such pain and discomfort in the area of temperomandibular joint (tmj) or joint of jaw bone usually may be due to age related degenerative changes or orthodontic pain or tmjoint arthritis or rarely any mass lesion benign or malignant or trigeminal neuralgia.
As of now it just seems minor age related change or early tm joint arthritis.
I would advise you to consult an orofaciomaxillary surgeon and get an xray done to rule out other causes, confirm the diagnosis and relieve any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor