Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Back ache, slip disc, muscle pain, loss of appetite, weakness

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi My father aged 78 has severe backache he had slipdisc some 25 years ago, i have been to most of the well known hospitals in delhi like Spinal Research Institute, Gangaram,Fortis etc but all the doctors say it's muscle pain only, since last few months he has lost apetite also and feeling very very weak. Can you suggest what treatment shall i go for and if you can suggest some doctors (ortho, general med) that would be great, i live in Dwarka,New Delhi.
Sat, 19 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for your father’s symptoms. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your father’s condition better if you could forward me his back x-ray or MRI reports - Please send the reports at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at them. Post your message after sending the reports in the followup query, so that I can reply to it.

Depending on the vertebral level that he is having slipped disk, he can have varying degrees of pain in the back or neck along with numbness or weakness in the corresponding organs, arms, or legs. If it is at a higher level of spine, it can cause pain in the shoulder, neck, arm, or hand and if it is at a lower spinal level, it can cause pain and numbness in the buttocks, back, legs, or feet.

Other than that, considering his age; osteoarthritis spine, Paget’s disease of the spine and lumbar strain to the muscles, tendons and ligaments at the lumbar level need to be ruled out. Both these are other common causes of severe back pain.

If you have not got a MRI whole spine done, then it is advisable to get it done.

Treatment options depend on the cause and vary from epidural steroid injection, transforaminal epidural decompressions, wearing braces, Percutaneous discectomy to surgical approach.

You can consult any good spine specialist in Delhi or Gurgaon at AIIMS or Medanta or alternately find and consult a good specialist by clicking on the following link: WWW.WWWW.WW
Awaiting your reply.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor