Baby underwent ileostomy. Not gaining weight. Any ayurvedic treatment to increase the weight?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Question: my baby was born at 32 week weight at birth 1200gm,after birth he was gone through the ileostomy, making stoma at his right side lower abdomen,so please tell me when his stoma is closed or reversal ileostomy doing? also can i use ayurvedic medicine for his weight gain?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later

Your pre term baby has ileostomy.
Why it was done?
Was it NEC( necroising entero colitis) or some congenital problem like obstruction?
Also which day after birth it was done?

I am asking these questions because reversal will depend on the cause of surgery.
In these babies ,the absorption of food is decreased and hence weight gain will be slow.

Loose stools will be very common and hence you have to be patient for steady but slow weight gain.
Ayurvedic treatment can not help in these situations.

Pre term babies are very fragile. So you have to be careful.

God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
my baby born at 25.11.12. birth wt: 1200 gm
surgery date: 29.11.12
ileostomy done:
because of abdominal distended 2nd day after birth of baby,then we perform xray,ct scan ,sonography ,it was found that bowl obstruction at ileum, then doctor tried to gave him enema but still it was not work,then lastly surgery was the option.
3rd day after birth he was decided to laprotomy of ileum & ileostomy
In surgery ,verythick meconium ileus found,about 10cm of affected part was removed that was tested for biopsy, it was found ok for biopsy
now baby wt.at current date 12.01.2013 is 1635 gm.
so please tell me when reversal ileostomy do.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thanks for the details.
Meconium ileus the chances are good .

Some doctors prefer a weight of 2 .5kg and some will do it when at 3 kg weight.
There are many considerations like how long the baby was on ventilator,general condition,,lung condition,presence of infection,etc.
The baby needs anesthesia again and will need some time to get adjusted.
So please wait for pediatric surgeon and anesthetist to decide appropriate time.

Reg the weight,the gain of about435 gems in 7 weeks is acceptable considering the ileostomy.

Do not worry.
God bless
Dr Uma