Owl Image

Baby taking medicine for diarrhea. Normal to feel hungry while on medication?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
My little daughter 13 months of age and 9 kg of weight has been suffering from Diarrhea in the last week. According to Doctor Prescription She had to give the following medicines before food 1)OFM-2 TIMES 2)ONDEM 2 times 3) TAXIM O 2 TIMES 4) CATALID 2 TIMES and more over she had to take injection for naussia ZOFAR(may be misspelled) 1 time and Mycason for stop bowl movements(may be misspelled) 6 times(2 times in every day) all the cited medications finished last sunday i.e 09/12/2012. Now she has bowl movement today after last saturday. her urine discharge is normal. But now we notice that she is too much hungry and cannot bear her hungryness. She is crying too much and are not waiting for preparation of food which is opposite to her instinct before suffering from Diarrhea. As she suffered from Diarrhea so she has been given no vegetables with her rice preparation and all the preperation is little diluted than before Diarrhea this may be one of the reason of her unbearable hungriness(does not take breast milk). My question is that this type of attitude is normal after Diarrhea? is it for antibiotic Taxim O or any other disorder is she suffering? is she suffering high blood sugar? any blood test is required? will she OK after few days? Pl. tell me what should I do as a father.
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 24 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Please do not worry.
This is OK and shows she is getting back to her normal health.
Already you have given her too many medicines for diarrhoea.
It is not the effect of antibiotics!

She may be crying because you have been giving dilute milk and not much of solids.

So now go back to her regular food but gradually one by one.

If after 2 weeks ,you think she still has abnormal appetite then you can think of checking blood sugar .

But it is highly unlikely!!!!
Good luck
God bless

Dr Uma