Baby suffering home runny nose, bad cough and fever. Not cured by medicine. Any relief?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: hi

My daughter is 1 yr old, she is suffering home runny nose and bad cough.
She had fever for 2 days with gas, after giving paracetamol her fever gone down, but cough persists.I am giving her the nasal spray. yesterday i gave her Azithrol 100 and mucolite, but the cough and watery mucus is coming from her nose.She becomes weak, sleeps all day. but due to bad cough she wakes up and crying
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 44 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

It shall take some time for the running nose, cough and fever to settle down. With paracetamol the temperature shall come down for 3-4 hours and rise again as the effect of the medicine wears off. Azithral is an antibiotic and will act only if there is a bacterial infection. A viral infection shall takes its own course. Hence, you should continue giving mucolite. Nasal spray should be used sparingly.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 minutes later
Hi Dr,

Thanks for the reply.
But should I continue with Azithrol, how to know is it a bacterial infection or viral?previously her mucous coming out of nose was thick and yellow now after mucolite it becomes liquid like water. now is there any way to stop running nose ? please suggest me some medicine for stopping her cough as it really hurts her at night.She vomits the food, now her stool becomes soft and it tends to watery, to prevent that any medicine i can administer ? what she wud take at dinner to keep well and no gas.Could it be an allergy attack ? shud I start some medicine like anti histamine.
Please let me know i am very worried
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the update.

Yes, continue with Azitrol. It is very difficult to say whether it is viral or bacterial without investigations. Most of the upper respiratory tract infections start as viral but develop superadded bacterial infection. Thick yellow nasal discharge is suggestive of bacterial infection.

You can add a cough syrup (about 2.5 ml.) three times a day to reduce the running nose along with steam inhalation. Cough syrups do contain anti-histamines like medicines and there is no need to give any more medication. It is unlikely to be allergic cough.

With upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) some children do develop loose motions and there is no need to give any medicines for that. Just ensure that she is adequately hydrated. You can give her warm soups which is going to soothe her throat and provide fluids. Give her small portions so that she does not vomit.

I can understand your dilemma but you need to be patient as URTI takes some time to resolve.

I hope I have responded to your queries to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need more clarifications.

RKK

P.S.: In case you intend closing this query then do give your feedback and review.
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later
Hi Dr,

You are right, she is attacked in URTI.As I am in Australia and there Doctor never prescribe any medicine, which is very difficult for puzzled parents like me to decide what to do. I brought these medicine while coming from India. I dont have any cough syrup kind of thing. I have only mucolite.I know that it thins the mucus, should I use that ? Here for Runny nose one medicine I know is available for child of 1 yr is Bauer's Runny nose. could you please suggest me should I start use that ? Please specify some cough syrup medicine from India so that I can bring here ?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 31 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

What you are doing is absolutely right. However if there is no improvement in 24-48 hours then it is advisable to get your daughter examined by a doctor and take medicines rather than treat yourself. As I had mentioned in my earlier post you can continue mucolite and steam inhalation.

I am not in a position to suggest about Brauer's Children's Runny Nose Relief as it is a homeopathic medicines about which I am not aware.

You can arrange for Syp. Recofast from India and give in early URTI.

I hope I have responded to your queries. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications.

RKK