Baby suffering from vomiting and loose motions. Is it safe to give perinorm?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: my daughter is one and half year old. she ws suffering from vomiting and loose motions. my doctor prescribed vomikind, but after giving it also there ws no improvement in her condition. then i took her to some other doctor.after being told that vomikind was not working for her he prescribed PERINORM syrup. i gave her 2.5 ml three times of PERIMORM. and there was improvement in her condition. but now i read somewhere that PERINORM should not be given to persons below 18 years. i m really worried now, shall i discontinue the use of this syrup.plz help me out and tell shall i not give her this medicine.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Perinorm (metoclopromide) is a safe medicine for adults as well as children.

However, rarely, it can lead to side effects related to central nervous sytem (especially brain). This is manifested as abnormal twisting movements of neck or eyes, also referred to as extrapyramidal reactions. These can be well treated if recognized.

So, there is no need to worry, if you have given perinorm to your child, and you can continue to use it.

If you notice any side effects, you can stop it.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM