Baby prescribed with Calcimax. Will it cause any side effects?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: My daughter was born on 11th October 2013. Our doctor has prescribed Calcimax for her. we are giving her this 2ml daily morning and evening. Just wanted to know if this medicine is fine for the baby
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These medicines are fine for the baby.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Calcimax, Zincovit, and Vitamin D syrup contains calcium, multivitamins, and vitamin D respectively.

These drops are prescribed to all newborn babies for supplementation and to prevent the deficiency of these nutrients.

This supplements will promote the optimum growth in infants.

These medications are fine, safe and continue as prescribed by the doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 minutes later
My daughter is just 18 days old now. (Born on 11th October 2013). After 3 days of her birth her blood was taken for screening and in the results 17 OHP was hign (183). So our doctor advised us to do the test once again. The second time 17 OHP came to normal level (4.8).
But her T4 level was high (20.2) . Her TSH and T3 was on normal level. We took her to a Pediatric Endocrinologist and she said that the T4 level is nothing to worry as TSH level is normal and she also advised that it will come down by itself.
Can you also please look into the report i have attached.
Brief Answer:
Report rules out hypothyroidism, nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I went through the reports you have attached along with this query.

Thyroid screening is primarily done to look for hypothyroidism in which there will be low T3, T4, and increased TSH.

Low T3 and T4 with high TSH are suggestive of hypothyroidism and it will effect the child development adversely.

As your daughter T3, T4 are not low and TSH is in normal, this report is normal.

Nothing to worry about increased T4 as the TSH value is in normal limits. As the pediatric endocrinologist said this variation is normal and this will come down.

Regards.