Owl Image

Baby on breastfeed. Is brushing enough for oral care?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
My son 14 months old, does not allow me to tongue clean any more, so I stopped for last 3 months. But he brushes everyday morning (he has got 8 teeth). Is this enough oral care for him? Also he breastfeeds many times in the night and early morning hours, will this affect his teeth?
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 21 minutes later
Hi,welcome to XXXXXXX

It is OK but he needs to brush once again in the night.

You have to gradually wean him from feeding in the night as he is already 14 months old.
For this what you can do is give him a good semi solid meal by night at about 9 pm and then when he cries give him water only till early morning.
Actually residues of milk in the mouth in the night is bad for bacteria to grow and cause caries.

Till you train him like this ,try to wash off the residues in the mouth by following feeds with little water!in the nights.

Good luck
Dr Uma