Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Baby having cough and double ear infection. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
My 9 month old daughter has been coughing for weeks. Had a double ear infection that was treated with amoxycillin and got better for about 5 days. She was sick again and went to the dr and found out she had strep and ear infections are back. Now she is coughing very hard and often vomits everything up at the end of each spell. If there has been a fever, it has been mild. We don't know where to get answers but she is too little for this and we are debating going to another doctor or for outpatient services.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

The description of your daughter's problem suggest that she has an upper respiratory tract infection which needs to be treated. The best course would be to consult the doctor and put her on:
1. An antibiotic, say amoxycillin,if required
2. A decongestant cough syrup
3. Syp. paracetamol for fever
4. Steam inhalation
Examination by the doctor will confirm the correct course of action and doses.

Now the time has come when your daughter is bound to have frequent attacks of upper respiratory tract infection. However, every time she will not need an antibiotic or aggressive treatment. The reason for this being that the inherent immunity she acquired at birth is waning and she has to develop her own immunity which will develop when she has infections. Ensure that she has a good nutritious and wholesome diet.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you may or if you would like to share any other information.

Wishing your daughter all the best...


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor