Baby has low weight, elevated liver enzymes. What does this mean? Usual solutions?
I am wondering if you can tell me what "elevated liver enzymes" typically mean in this kind of case and what the usual solutions are? Baby is female, 4 months old, mainly breastfed (with about 60ml of iron fortified formula supplimented daily).
Thanks for the query.
I apologize for the delayed response. I have gone through the details submitted with diligence and I shall provide you with useful information to allay your fears.
Your baby had low iron levels previously and the levels have picked up to more than average with treatment. In this circumstance the iron therapy is probably the cause of elevated liver enzymes.
Elevated liver enzymes can occur with iron therapy, especially in small babies. Do not panic it just means that your baby's liver is just not able to handle the excess iron in the formula. But this is only a transient condition and should settle by itself once you stop the fortification.
So the elevated liver enzymes just means baby's liver is filled up with more than needed iron and DOES NOT mean that liver is failing or bad. This happens with many drugs as temporary completely reversible side effect.
As suggested, please follow up with your pediatrician. He/she might perform some follow up labs to include iron levels. Only if the iron levels are very high, then some treatment with chelation is needed. In your baby it’s just above average. So need for any treatment.
I expect the liver enzymes to come down in a few months once the iron supplements are stopped.
Hope I cleared your doubts. I will be glad to answer any other doubts or follow up enquiries that you might have.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Newborn baby with elevated liver enzymes
- Elevated liver enzymes in babies
- Elevated liver enzymes and low cholesterol
- Low potassium and elevated liver enzymes
- What is the remedy for elevated liver enzymes
- My leg is swollen and i have elevated liver enzymes whats that mean
- Low hemoglobin and elevated liver enzymes
- Elevated liver enzymes whats high
- What causes elevated liver enzymes in a 2 month old baby
- What does elevated liver enzymes during pregnancy mean
- Constant crying baby,not sleeping,given gripe water.Suggestions ?
- Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with...
- Swelling of legs after a drive. Is this normal? Or is it related to...
- 23 days baby is having cold and cough, not able to sleep well. Giving...
- Baby started vomitting and loose motion. Losing weight. Stool test done....
- Baby has low weight, elevated liver enzymes. What does this mean? Usual...
- Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child?
- Child felt warm, given Calpol. Blood test suggested. Appreciate a second...
- Child tightens his hands and jaws, makes grunting sound. Is everything...
- Child getting fever, cough and cold frequently. Constant constipation....