Baby diagnosed with gall stones. What is the treatment?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi, I have 5 month baby Boy & since morning he is crying. For that reason wmy wife went to Pediatrician. He has suggested to do Sonograpy. After that we have done Sonography report is as attached for your reference. I have taken Dr. XXXXXXX ( Urologist ) openion online & he has recommended to go to Haematologist for further treat ment. Can you guide me what kind of tests needs to be one. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Find Doctor Patil's Reply : Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your five months old baby has pain due to stones in gall bladder. The gall stone disease is very uncommon at this age but more and more cases are being reported due to availability of Ultrasound scanning facility. Gall bladder stones disease at this age may be due to some some blood disorders.and need to be investigated thoroughly. Please consult qualified Haematologist for clinical assessment and investigation under his guidance to fine out the cause of getting stones. In majority of cases child can be observed for few months and can be expected to have natural resolution .However may need surgical treatment (Laproscopic CholeCystectomy))if child develops jaundice or gets repeated episodes of pain. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Gall stones in children are indeed rare and need evaluation to rule out serious underlying disorders. These consist of mostly blood disorders where red cells get destroyed easily and also liver diseases. Sometimes no cause is found and this is known as simple gall stones. Hence we need to do complete blood count, gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT), amylase, urinalysis, direct and indirect bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, and transaminase levels. Based on these, further specific tests may be done. Treatment and long term outcome depends on the exact cause and not the stones per se. Regarding treatment, as he is probably having pain and sonography shows inflammation along with stones, he may require surgery to remove the gall bladder. You need to consult a pediatric laparoscopic surgeon and a pediatrician to proceed further. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your inputs on said query.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: If you do not have any other query, then please close the query and give feedback. Regards