Baby developed jaundice, under phototheraphy as skin become very dark. When will complexion be regained?

Posted on Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Question: my baby developed jaundice...under phototheraphy for 48 hrs his skin has become very dark...before this he was pinkish white for 7 days.when will he regain his complexion again
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Skin darkening with phototherapy is transient.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

There may be slight tanning of skin with phototherapy and the newborn will get his original skin color within one or two weeks.

The darkening of skin with phototherapy is usually mild and it is transient. This darkening is temporary and will decrease gradually.

But as the newborn age increases, the skin complexion will turn from pinkish white to his original skin color due to the process of skin maturation.

Nothing to worry as the skin color will be regained to his original color within 1 or 2 weeks once the phototherapy has been stopped.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.
Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician