Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Baby born at 33 week. Scan showed one kidbey 18% and other one 89%. Concerned about the development?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1801 Questions

Pre term baby born at 33 week. scan done at 4 months. one kidney 18% and one kidney function 89%. no obstruction found. will they still grow. any issues in development. please explain consequences... thanks.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to health care magic. Kidneys develop until last few weeks of pregnancy. So preterm babies are at risk for low renal function.
Especially so if they have been in neonatal intensive care unit , and had been exposed to other risk factors like low oxygen, medications, etc.
But do not worry. Your kid’s kidney function can still improve over period of time. Even though no new nephrons I.e. kidney cells are formed after 40 weeks after pregnancy, but each kidney cell can compensate for lost or reduced function of the others.
But you need to follow up with your physician and get periodic checkups including kidney scan, ultrasound, urine test for albumin loss, blood pressure measurements.
Only periodic evaluations and early identification and treatment of urinary infection, etc will be the key.
Hope I answered your query. Do let me know if you want any further clarifications.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Baby born at 33 week. Scan showed one kidbey 18% and other one 89%. Concerned about the development? 1 hour later
thanks doctor.

we spoke to respective doctors. they say one kidney very small in size and working 18% will go away other wise will be removed in case any infections. He will be on single kidney which is working 89% now and normal in size will work without any issue. no infections found. my question is will he be all ok in terms of grown and activity with single kidney .. or any restrictions required going forward. please explain. thanks
Answered by Dr. Arun 7 minutes later
No need to worry. One kidney is enough for supporting normal growth and development of your kid. But make sure to follow your physicians advice regarding periodic follow-ups.
You need to restrict extra load to kidneys, like restricting salt and drinks, which have artificial colors, avoid in necessary medications unless prescribed. Evaluate for urinary infection if he has fever and treat early.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Baby born at 33 week. Scan showed one kidbey 18% and other one 89%. Concerned about the development? 10 hours later

scan shows one is little larger and functions 82% .. the other one very small with 18%. no scars or abnormalities found. No infection is urine test. Doctor says 2nd one will disappear in some time. how do I understand these numbers?. will first one (82%) become 100% or normal for his life or its going to deteriorate with time. As doctor says, the 2nd one can disappear thanks.
Answered by Dr. Arun 12 hours later
Out of total 100 one is doing 82 percent of the 100 , remaining function by the other kidney. It means that since one kidney is doing only 18 percent normal should be 50 percent each, the other kidney is compensating for the same.
Once the smaller one disappears, the other kidney will be and is capable of doing 100 percent function.
Whether this would last his entire life is difficult to answer right now. If no other problems creep up in later life example diabetes, hypertension to name a few, that kidney should suffice.
Hope this helps
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor