Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

BP lab result. Normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 677 Questions
I am 88yrs old, my BP today is 150/100. Is this something to worry about?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

At your age, a blood pressure reading of 150/100 mmHg is not uncommon and is not so high as to seek medical help immediately. Moreover a single reading of elevated blood pressure is not a thing to be worried about much when the reading is in the range you have mentioned.

I suggest you relax and stop worrying about the blood pressure. Worrying and beeing anxious in itself causes further elevation of the blood pressure.

You need to consult your doctor or visit the emergency room if your systolic blood pressure measures over 200 mmHg and your diastolic pressure is more than 100 mmHg.

If you are already a diagnosed case of hypertension and on treatment for the same, you can take one tablet of your prescribed anti-hypertensive medicine for the time being.

Take rest, relax and indulge your mind in some relaxing activity so that you forget about this raised blood pressure, which helps in getting it down automatically.

Repeat the blood pressure measurement after 2 or 3 hours and you will see that your blood pressure has come down.

Some general measures you can follow to keep your blood pressure under control are;

1. Minimise salt intake to around 2 to 3 grams per day.
2. Exercise regularly.
3. Do relaxing exercises like yoga and breathing exrcises.
4. Take the anti-hypertensive medicines regularly if you have already been prescribed.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to write back to me if you have any further queries.

Please accept the answer if you do not have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor