Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

BP high, heart rate increased. Be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
my bp is 112/83 but my heart rate is 115. should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 59 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

You have provided me with good information.

You have a blood pressure reading of 112/83 and your heart rate is 115. Your blood pressure seems to be in the normal range. But there is an increase in your heart rate. Normally it should be in the range of 60 to 100 beats per minute.

Normally heart rate increases as a response to various situations like exercise or exertion, large meal, anxiety, fever. You could observe if this was the case with you. Other medical conditions such as thyroid disease, electrolyte imbalance, emotional stress or drinking large amounts of alcoholic or caffeinated beverages will also bring about such changes. You also do not seem to be having history of any major illness.

It could also be seen in Heart-related conditions such as high blood pressure (hypertension), but since your blood pressure seems to be normal you need not worry. Poor blood supply to the heart muscle due to coronary artery disease (atherosclerosis), heart valve disease, heart failure, heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathy), tumors, or infections are rare instances where it will be seen.

There is no need to be concerned but you should recheck your heart rate 2 to 3 times daily for a few days and if it persists then you will need to get it examined with your physician.

Till then avoid excess tea, coffee, alcohol and drink sufficient fluids and juices. Do not take stress.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Wishing you good health.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor